Friday, June 6, 2008

Fun Stuff

I thought I'd take just a moment and write since the house is completely quiet at the moment. The little one is taking a long needed nap. I can see why mom's love naps so much. Kylie is so close to crawling I can smell it. I can tell that she's starting to move faster just even in the past few days. She's rolling all over and scoots herself backwards. I'm happy to report that after reading Britta's blog it reminded me that I needed to clean my bathrooms. That lead to one thing to another and happily my house is spic and span again. I love coming home to a clean house!

The yard is coming along. The landscapers trenched the sprinklers last Saturday and have been here during the evenings twice this week. They are now ready to fill in the trenches. The next step is to have the topsoil and compost delivered, finish grade everything, put the sprinkler heads on the funny pipe and connect the drip irrigation. And prep for sod. Then their work is done and mine will have just begun. Meaning that I still have to find some flagstone I like for a few pathways, get sod ordered and delivered and start looking for trees. As far as plants go I'm just hoping to get the trees in this year. Here are some of my favorites that I've been thinking about. For me plants are like chocolate. There is always room for one more :).

Paul Scarlett Hawthorn











Emerald Gaiety Euonymous














Shademaster Honeylocust (these are for the parking strip in the front yard)















Blue Atlas Cedar

Japanese Barberry

Tri-Colored Beech (needs shade from the afternoon sun)











Malus Sargentii

Bruneria (my sister has some of this and I want to try it out too)










Prairie Fire Crabapple (we have one of these in the front yard and I LOVE it. So I'd like to plant another in the back somewhere).

Purple Sandcherry

European Snowball











Carl Forester Feather Reed Grass

2 comments:

Jaynan said...

Yay! It will be so nice for you to be able to enjoy your back yard again! I too have fun with plants. The Kartchners have a tri-colored beech just over the fence from us and it's just beautiful. We have a Hawthorn in our front yard and love it, especially right now while it's in bloom. My favorite bush is a honeysuckle. I have it climbing up the back railing and love the smell when I walk out the door. Unfortunately when we put in a deck it will have to come out.

Laura said...

fun stuff. We planted euonomous (sp?) all along our back fence last summer and they were almost all wiped out by the more-than-normal wet winter. We are in a slightly colder climate than you though. I'm sure your yard will be a beautiful thing to behold!